I took a three-hour nap a few days ago. My husband was watching reruns of MacGyver while I dozed. Every time I stirred, Mac was rescuing a hostage, racing through shrubbery, or stuffing potatoes into exhaust pipes. That guy was so cool.
We need to resurrect Angus MacGyver (yep, Angus was his first name.) He could help with so many things here in the Ballpark:
1. He could rig the dishwasher to load itself.
2. Ditto for the washer.
3. He could fashion a drive way track that would guide the trash cans down to the curb and back again.
4. He could make a safe grapefruit peeler out of a razor blade and a toothbrush. It takes a long time to peel a grapefruit like an orange, but that’s how we like ’em.
5. He could make a lizard catcher. We’re just too slow when it comes to getting them out of the house here in Florida.
6. He could create a hanging rope that would allow me to swing down to the first floor instead of risking tripping down our 14 steps, which I did recently. He’d probably need more than duct tape to accomplish this one.
7. He could wire the kitchen cabinet so when I’m tempted to steal a piece of dark chocolate, I get a shock. Drastic times; drastic measures.
I’m feeling overwhelmed these days. Writing is calling me, my adult children and their spouses have become fun adult friends to hang out with, baby James is around, allowing me smooches and snuggles, and my parents are becoming more fragile every month. And then there’s all this stuff MacGyver could be helping with.
I love the people in my life, and I want to be available to them, so I’m thinking something has to change.
Therefore, I’m creating a newsletter.
HA! It sounds like lunacy, but I believe it will streamline my writing, which will free up some time to love on the people I love, peel grapefruits, and catch lizards. (Doesn’t look like MacGyver is coming anytime soon.)
I’ll keep blogging, but less frequently, and the newsletter will alert you as to when a new post is up. There are so many things I want to write about and touch on and research…my newsletter will have quick updates, inspirational morsels, links to projects/recipes/news items, my favorite books, and more. I hope you’ll sign on, so we can stay in touch.
I promise it will take less time (because you probably have grapefruit/lizard issues too) to read my newsletter than to read a blog post. You may want to click on enclosed links, or not; I’ll just make them available to you. My goal is to bring practical, grace-filled, substantial, and humorous treats into your life. You might be overwhelmed too, and just need an encouraging face in your inbox.
I value your input and would also like to know what topics bring you to the Ballpark – the caretaking issues, my faith journey, DIY projects, chasing wellness, or whatever (even the ex-clown.) If you want to hear my thoughts on something new, write that in the box. We’ll take this journey together!
As always, thank you for sharing in my life.
I just did some research and discovered MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson) is 66 years old now. He’s probably tired of saving the world, so I guess I’ll have to let him off the hook from helping me out around here.
I do think he could make a grapefruit peeler while he’s plopped in his recliner though.